Thursday, January 30, 2014

This Winter Weather

North Carolina is not known for having particularly rough winter weather.  From time to time, we might get a significant snowfall, or perhaps ice, but most often it's a dusting of snow or temps in the 30's for a period of time.

This winter has been on the rougher side for us.  It's been cold, off and on, for a while, with temps down in the single digits and this week in particular has been a wild weather ride.

It was 67 degrees all the way back on Monday.  I was at the park with the dog in jeans and a long sleeve shirt enjoying the beautiful day.

On Tuesday, it started in the 50's and dropped to the 20's and we had four inches of snow on the ground by Wednesday morning.  School was closed Tuesday, even though the snow didn't start until 5:30 p.m. or so, and if you want to know why, just google Atlanta, GA, January 2014 snowstorm, or Raleigh, NC, January 2005 snowstorm.

Anyway, my tri training has derailed a bit this week.  Yes, I could have done something Monday, but I didn't, as they are my designated day off.  And I could have swam on Tuesday morning, but the girls were off of school and I didn't quite make it to the 9:30 a.m. class, and I worked at 1:00, so ...

Wednesday was too icy and snowy, and today the option for Run Club was to run inside on the treadmills.  Ugh.  Big sour face.  Just shoot me, thanks!  Tomorrow I will finally jump back into the fray with an hour long cycle class followed by another hour in the pool.

I sort of feel guilty about missing four days.  Even with tomorrow's exercise, there's no way I can make up the time missed.  While I want to say that it's not that big of a deal to me, I know I need to keep my momentum going strong and I know I could have exercised this week and was basically too lazy to do so.  I used the weather as a handy excuse to complement my lack of motivation.

Ah well.  Here's hoping this is the last of this wintry nonsense.  I moved south for a reason after all.  (Oh my God, I can't imagine if I were still in Baltimore right now - I'd be going INSANE).  Saturday is the first day of February, which is the real start to my New Year's resolutions anyway.  January is always a lot of nonsense to me  - a lot of new year noise if you will.  I'm ready for February, to take the new year by storm, to welcome warmer weather, and to be able to ride my bike outside again without packing on two or three extra layers.  So ... Bye bye snow, don't let the door hit ya'.

No comments: