Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gobbler's Run

M and I ran the Wake Forest Gobbler's Run, benefitting the Boys and Girls Club, on Thanksgiving morning.  I'd been wanting to do this for a while, and I'd also been promising her we'd do a 5k together, for about six months now.

So, off we went, a 7:30 a.m. in the 23 degree wind. We found a parking space, got registered just in time - a mere $55 but it was for a good cause and they still had t-shirts (bonus!) - and lined up with the other 2500 or so participants.  And we ran!  M did great.  I was so proud of her - she doesn't exactly run often.  She stopped occasionally, not to catch her breath but to rest her legs, then kept on going - what a trouper.  We finished in just under 36 minutes.  Awesome!  All in all, it was a great run.  Maybe because there were so many people there, or maybe because it was a new route, or maybe because I was focused more on M, it seemed like a fairly easy 3.1 miles to me.  This is just crazy because a year ago, someone would have had to been seriously chasing me to get me to run.  Anywhere.

Hubby and G and Molson the dog met us at the finish line, where we hung around for a little while before finally taking off.  It was in the shade, the temps hadn't risen to much more than 28 degrees, and we were COLD, COLD, COLD.

This turned out to be a very fun event where we saw lots of people from the community that we knew - teachers, friends, members and trainers at the club where I work.  People were running with their families, their dogs, strollers.  I think we'll definitely make it a tradition going forward.

No comments: